Guess what we did today! Lately the girls have been obsessed with playing with their stuffed animals so I decided to set up a veterinary office in their playroom for after we finished school.
We’ve always done child-directed activities so I’ve never actually set up something like this ahead of time. If you know my girls in real life you know that they have no shortage of imagination (my mom would tell you that their whole life is dramatic play) so it just didn’t really occur to me sooner. But this was super easy and considering the happy reaction, we will definitely be doing this again. So here is our veterinary office using only supplies we already had on hand….
For our tables I used TV trays (we received some kid-sized ones a few years ago). I covered one with a small table cloth to make it an examination table. And laundry baskets came in very handy for additional set-up.
Medical supplies we used:
- Toy doctor kit laid out
- Our microscope (to examine test results)
- Plastic gloves (We don’t have any real ones but luckily I had some from my hair dying kit that worked just fine.)
- Package of old gauze bandages (These come in every first aid kit we’ve ever gotten and I think we’ve only used them once.)
- An ace bandage (I ended up letting the girls cut it into pieces to fit their animals and dolls so it looks like I will be buying another one.)
- Clipboards with recording forms attached and pencils
And I added:
- Laundry baskets to serve as kennels for patients
- Baby doll bathtub to wash the animals
- A receptionist space with their cash register and play phone and some appointment slips I found online
- Obviously all the animal accessories the girls have
We found great printables at:
- Mother Natured (examination forms and appointment slips),
- Playdough to Plato (examination forms and nametags),
- Learn Create Love (examination and adoption forms).
I printed out all the different forms so that they could see which ones they liked.
So it looks like we will be playing vet for awhile…