Advent started this past Sunday. I had meant to have this finished and posted by then but life got in the way. Anyway, this year I wanted to do more to celebrate Advent with the girls as we prepare for the coming Christmas season. Towards that goal I made our own Advent calendar with activities to celebrate the season.
Supplies: cardstock (red and green), glue, stickers, twine, clothespins
This was super simple. I cut red cardstock into rectangles (mine were 3.5″ by 5″). I debated using the colors of the Advent candles, but decided to wait until the girls were older to add in that aspect. So the tabs were red and then I cut the numbers out of green using my Cricut. You could just as easily use number stickers or write them by hand.
On the back of each one I wrote a message or activity for the day. Each day we will turn over a card to see what it says. Keep in mind what events you already have scheduled. Here are some of the messages I included:
- Advent is when we get ready for Jesus’ birthday.
- God loves you so much! He is always with you!
- Buy toys for those who won’t get any at Christmas.
- Say a special prayer for someone who needs extra help.
- Go to church with your family.
- Help make Christmas presents today.
- Be extra nice to your sister today.
- Learn a new Christmas carol today.
- Help feed and take care of Hero. (Our dog, this is a chore they haven’t done before).
- Draw a special Christmas picture.
- Do a Christmas craft today.
- Tell a family member the story of Jesus and the first Christmas.
- Bake Christmas cookies today.
- (For the Immaculate Conception) Say a special prayer to Mary today.
- (On Christmas Eve) Happy Birthday Jesus! Sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus!
To included the girls in this activity I had them decorate the cards with stickers and then help me hang the pieces up. At first I liked the plain cards better but I knew that the girls would like being a part of it and this would make it more meaningful. Now I enjoy the colorful cards so much that I think we’ll have to add stickers each day to the backsides of the cards as we read them. 🙂